Again, please GO INTO THE STORE HERE.
MAJOR FAMILY ANNOUNCEMENT/FUNDRAISER
If you can, please donate to our fundraiser. Here is the link:
Here is some context:
Before I met her I carried around my love in a different way than I do now. I used to walk around with my love held out in front of me, eager to show it off, singing about the details of every powerful personal experience, blabbing about places and dates, naming names, all in service to my high ideas about true authentic expression and powerful art.
After I met her I didn’t feel that way anymore. The love we shared felt like a whole new category of human phenomenon, possibly never experienced by anyone anywhere, ever. The idea of displaying it for strangers felt obscene and perverse. It was too good for that, it felt too important. Whatever priorities I’d previously placed on “authentic art” were superseded by this way more powerful personal thing.
We gradually built a bubble around our real everyday selves and the details of our life together. Being both semi-public semi-known artists and musicians, we were participants in the constant self promotion and personality-making that comes with those roles, and we knew that it was time to think about where to draw the line, eventually settling into a comfortable ambiguity, not touring together anymore, not putting our names on each others’ things so much, not denying anything either, just not being all loud about our love. I mean, just on a basic local level, we didn’t exactly walk down the street kissing. Just as people we are not the p.d.a. types and our affection took place in private. Seeing us hug was rare. On the outside perhaps we resembled platonic housemates, but we were passionate and deeply in love, quiet and powerful.
Now things are happening within our bubble that compel us to adjust these boundaries, to let whoever in, and ask for help. The cocoon phase is over. Here are the specifics:
I met Geneviève in 2003 at a time when I wasn’t particularly aiming to fall in love. I was happy to just be a solo wandering dude doing my thing. We met and it was instant. Each of us felt like we’d found our person. No question. After some international border confusion and many trips back and forth to Vancouver Island, she moved to Anacortes and we got married. Some of our friends were freaked out by the speed of all this, while those who’d met us both understood. The connection was clear. Two people found each other from across a universe.
So it’s been 12 years of all kinds of projects and adventures and love. We collaborated a lot, but mostly we existed as 2 sovereign creative maniacs, not butting in too much to each others’ projects, and mostly keeping quiet about who we were married to.
We wanted a baby the whole time, pretty much from day one, but it just didn’t happen. There were some years of frustration and sadness but probably not to the huge existential degree that some people have it. We always both had so much going on that it didn’t seem like the end of the world to continue devoting so much time to these art and music projects. In early 2014 we’d both found some kind of peace and acceptance of the idea of a childless future, and maybe even positivity about the possibilities that would bring, but then she was pregnant all of a sudden.
Our daughter was born in January of 2015. The secrecy around all this was extra intense. No pictures on the internet, don’t tell anyone, it’s private and too special, maintain the boundaries. Even now I don’t want to say her name. She is the physical embodiment of our special private love for each other so of course we’d be protective of the details.
Then 4 months after having a baby Geneviève went to the doctor for a regular check up, mentioning some abdominal pain, no biggie. There were some extra questions and an ultrasound and a CT scan, triggering some googling and some worrying at home, but she was 34 years old with a ridiculously healthy lifestyle, so the worries were minor. Then the lighting bolt:
Advanced pancreatic cancer, stage 4, inoperable, chemotherapy ASAP, “do you want to talk to the chaplain?”, get the wills in order, etc.
What the fuck? No family history of cancer, never smoked or drank, mostly vegetarian, so much organic food, big water drinker, young, a profoundly good person. It felt like conclusive proof of the absence of god. We agonized over the logic. How could this be true? It is preposterous. It’s so stupidly illogical and wrong. How could it actually be happening, but then each morning we awoke to the same world where it was indeed happening.
(To get perspective on the intensity of this particular cancer, it might be worth looking it up for a minute. It has a vicious reputation and pretty brutal statistics.)
Gradually the existential questioning faded into the grinding logistics of appointments, insurance, bottle feeding, diet questions, acupuncture, therapy, baby care, laundry, money worries, trying to keep the floor clean, trying to keep the house warm, maintaining the basics. There is simply no time to ponder the big questions right now. There are diapers to deal with.
We’ve already long since adjusted our bubble boundaries locally and have received so much crucial help from friends and family, as well as remote support from distant friends. So much love has been beamed our way in the form of meditations and thoughts and prayers and mail and things and money. All of this is so necessary and huge. It’s strange to remember our earlier attitudes about preserving the boundaries at all costs. Even though we are essentially the same hermit weirdos, we need the support and the priorities have massively shifted.
Now we make the broad public announcement and plea for money because we can’t take it anymore. The savings have been depleted and financial worry creeps in as the inability to do anything resembling “work” continues indefinitely.
Existence is officially confirmed to be surreal and totally absurd. Thank you for loving and supporting us and each other in this ridiculous whirlwind, sloppily surfing on messed up waves, all of us.
June 1st, 2016
none planned right now
- ELV038 – Lost Wisdom by Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron & Fred Squire, 2016 reissue version, LP+download (May 27th, 2016)
- ELV037 – No Flashlight by Mount Eerie 2015 reissue, LP+download (Oct. 2nd, 2015)
- ELV036 – “Sauna” by Mount Eerie : 2×45rpmLP+download (Feb. 3rd, 2015)
- ELV035 – “Half-Eaten Guitar” by Wyrd Visions : LP+download (April 15th, 2014)
- ELV034 – “Pre-Human Ideas” by Mount Eerie : LP+download (Nov. 12th, 2013)
- ELV033 – “DUST” by Phil Elverum : book of photopraphs (June 17th, 2014)
- ELV032 – “Mount Eerie” by the Microphones : LP+download (August 20th, 2013)
- ELV031 – “the Glow pt. 2” by the Microphones : 2xLP+download (July 9th, 2013)
- ELV030 – “Song Islands” by the Microphones (2xLP+download) (March 5th, 2013)
- ELV029 – “It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water” by the Microphones : LP+download (May 28th, 2013)
- ELV028 – “Don’t Wake Me Up” by the Microphones : LP+download (April 16th, 2013)
- ELV027- “Clear Moon/Ocean Roar (condensed versions)” by Mount Eerie (7”) (September 2012) All the songs from both albums played at the same time, simultaneously, cacophonous and overwhelming.
- ELV026- “Ocean Roar” by Mount Eerie – LP+download (September 2012)
Part two of the pair, this portion going deeper into the fog and wall of noise, still asking, half remembering a dream of a midnight road trip to the ocean from 20 years ago.
- ELV025- “Clear Moon” by Mount Eerie – LP+download (May 22nd, 2012)
Part one of a pair of records exploring a living place as a modern questioning person, walking around and looking at things for 80 or so years before disbanding back into dirt.
- ELV024- “It Never Was You” by Nicholas Krgovich – 7inch+download
a 7” single of this hot new hit track by Nicholas Krgovich (No Kids, Mount Eerie) backed with an a cappella mix of the same song. Here you’ll find rare footage of an early version being performed live at What The Heck 2010.
- ELV023- “California Lite” by KEY LOSERS – LP+download
unanimously pre-designated as a classic album, the new full length release of Katy Davidson’s (Dear Nora, Lloyd & Michael, Katy Davidson) finest-ever songs, recorded with a super-group in Anacortes. This is thrilling.
- ELV022 – “Song Islands vol. 2” by Mt. Eerie 2xLP Mt. Eerie Singles compilation. 31 songs, double vinyl plus download. Totally awesome. In stores Oct. 19th, 2010
- ELV021 – “*White Stag” by Mount Eerie*- CDR : (out of print) ??Songs recorded inside an old building in Portland, Ore., trying to summon an imagined mystical origin from the hidden mud, doubting, cursing. Recorded sloppily and fast as part of a residency through the Univ. of Oregon there. interview
- ELV020 – “*Wind’s Poem” by Mount Eerie*- double LP/CD (July 14th, 2009) double album, epic and weird, featuring Nick Krgovich of Vancouver’s No Kids, the 3rd “real” Mount Eerie album after No Flashlight and Mount Eerie pts. 6 & 7. Here is a music video for the song “the Mouth of Sky”.
- ELV019 – “Lost Wisdom” by Mt. Eerie, LP/CD : (October 7th, 2008) with Julie Doiron and Fred Squire
- *ELV018 – FOG MOVIES LIVE by Mount Eerie*- DVD : sold out bootleg of Mt. Eerie at What The Heck Fest 2007 set to movies of the world looking slow and beautiful in bad weather
- ELV017 – “*Dawn” by Mount Eerie*- LP : out of print The same songs as the ones on the book/CD from Buenaventura Press, but on vinyl, no book. Just a record. These are all the songs that were written during the winter of 2002/2003 in north Norway, played on just guitar with singing. flattering review here
- ELV016 – “Black Wooden Ceiling Opening” by Mount Eerie – 10”+CD : out of print 6 songs recorded with the November 2006 Mount Eerie “hard core” line up which was Kjetil Jenssen of the Spectacle, the enigma Jason Anderson and Phil Elverum. Our fastest and loudest achievement so far.
- “ELV015” – “ANDO-PR – 36 page book (out of print) ??a portfolio of writing and collage work. Recipient of the World’s Top Hilarious Joke Award. Here are some samples.
- ELV014 – “Mount Eerie pts. 6 & 7” – 132 pg. book + 10” picture disc : FOR SALE This music is the sequel to “Mount Eerie” by the Microphones (2003), but the photos are from all over the world from the last 10 years. They have been hung on the walls of the rooms where all the other Mount Eerie/Microphones music has been born. Also, this is the biggest and best thing we’ve ever made. Mount Eerie revealed.
- “*ELV013” – “Rope or Guillotine” by the Spectacle*- LP : (out of print) letterpressed/silkscreened covers, letterpressed words booklet… The Spectacle is a band from Bodø, Norway that is already broken up. I became friends with them in 2002 when I showed up in their town and decided to stay. I had never heard music that sounded like that, or seen that kind of dark energy so focused. I am happy to be releasing this record (their second of 3) because I could never manage to make music like this myself, although I try.
- “ELV012” “Don’t Smoke/Get Off the Internet” by the Microphones: 7” (out of print) white or clear vinyl, letterpressed covers. This was a new single by the Microphones, released in January of 2007. Two punk songs telling you what to do.
- “ELV011” – “Welcome Nowhere” by Thanksgiving – double LP+CD : out of print A fancy reissued version of our “ELV000”, this time with a whole extra record of lost songs from the sessions. This is one of 3 records that was recorded in a hexagonal hut on top of a high remote hill above a lake with eagles and military jets, looking out over islands. The beginning of our moving studio called “Nowhere”. “Welcome Nowhere” is a CLASSIC ALBUM, straight up. This new version is totally remastered and sounds 1,000,000 times better. Glossy full color gatefold jacket, tie-dyed colored vinyl, CD, excellent songs.
- “ELV010” – “On Earth” by PEACE – CDR (out of print) Once we released a CDR by a band from Kamloops, B.C., Canada. At the time it seemed like a good idea. We blew $75,000 on studio fees alone. I guess it was a learning experience.
- “ELV009” – Gris” by Woelv 10” / CD : FOR SALE Geneviève made these 4 long songs in preparation for a tour of Japan. They turned out to be too good for just a tour thing so we released it. They are an attempt at “prog rock” she says. Drones and mind bends. Sung in French.
- “ELV008”- “No Mystery” by D+, LP+CD, (out of print) White vinyl, CDR, lyric sheet, letterpressed covers. D+ is a band made up of Bret Lunsford, Karl Blau, and Phil Elverum. We are very relaxed about it. The songs are Bret’s. We all live in Anacortes and in Feb. 2006 we made a new record (our 5th) in the mornings.
- “ELV007” – “Thanksgiving (pt. 2 of 3)” by Thanksgiving tripleLP+CD (out of print) This was jointly released, Dec. 6th 2005, by Marriage and us. A triple album by Thanksgiving. Beautiful triple gatefold. Red, white and blue vinyl. We technically released the white one. Excellent songs home recorded. No filler, almost.
- “ELV006” – “Nobody’s Perfect” by Mount Eerie – (never released) ??This live recording was perhaps once intended for physical release but ended up only being released on this one music website.
- “ELV005” – “No Flashlight” by Mount Eerie LP+CD (out of print) This is the first “real” Mt. Eerie album. It came out in the fall of 2005. It holds the world record for the world’s largest record cover.
- ELV004- “the Drums from No Flashlight” by Mt. Eerie LP (out of print) We felt the drums on “No Flashlight” sounded good enough to listen to by themselves.
- ELV003 “11 Old Songs” by Mt. Eerie LP+CD+2 booklets (out of print) 11 songs made up during the winter of 2002/2003 and recorded later, sung over the top of primitive electronica. Half joke. Half funny.
- “ELV002” – “SINGERS” LP+CD (out of print) Over the years whenever a large group of people was in the studio doing some singing on a recording I tried to get them to sing one of my songs, maybe play a few instruments. (Hello, I am Phil from Mt. Eerie.) “SINGERS” is the name of this collection of various recordings. Some are from live shows with the audience singing. All of them are “singalong” songs.
- “ELV001” – “Mount Eerie Dances With Wolves/Wolf Mountain Howls In The World” version 2 (out of print) On that tour of Australia Mt. Eerie became a big pickup band of Australians and recorded these 2 songs direct-to-lacquer in a cool studio/pressing plant compound in Melbourne.
- “ELV000”- “Welcome Nowhere” by Thanksgiving (out of print) Our first acual release. It is the 3rd? album by Thanksgiving. It came out in October 2004. We are now reissuing it in a deluxe way.
- “ELV00negative1- “Mt. Eerie Dances With Wolves/Wolf Mountain Howls In The World” version 1 (out of print) The Australian version of ELV001, made on the spot.
- “ELV00negative2- Seven New Songs of Mt. Eerie” – (out of print) This is 7 songs that were originally recorded for a tour of Australia in 2004. It wasn’t a real release. Just some CDRs in a photocopied cover. No big whoop.
- “Emptiness (version)” by Mount Eerie, flexi 7” released in May 2014 by Joyful Noise
- “Firewood Industry, Tarped Woodpile, Tie Downs, Failing Roof, Load Loss, Compost Pile, Tacoma Spill, Dying Light: pictures & texts & myths”, a zween by Carson Churchill
- “Water Activated Designer Packing Tape #4: SLASHED HORIZON” by Phil Elverum
- XRA043- “Live In Bloomington, , September 30th, 2011” by Mount Eerie (July 9th, 2013 from XRA Records)
- “World Heaves” 7” by Mount Eerie, released by Graveface (2012)
- To The Ground b/w “the Mouth of Sky (M.I.D.I. strings)” by Mount Eerie feat. Nicholas Krgovich
released by Atelier Ciseaux in spring 2012. Out of print in physical form. Downloadable here
- Mt. Eerie split 7” with NO KIDS (out of print) on the Caff/Lick label featuring the M.E. song “Through The Trees (excerpt)” feat. Nick Krgovich, and the N.K. song “Prisoner of Desire” feat. Fudge Elverum
- “*Short Songs” by Phil Elverum*- word booklet (out of print) Just a little booklet from late 2005.
- “Egil’s Saga plus the Saga of Ref the Sly” read aloud onto 7 C.D.s (out of print) I made this as an all-purpose present for my family in late 2005 but decided to make a few extra copies. I’ve been told it’s actually pretty hard to listen to.
- “Water Activated Alpine-Themed Packing Tape #3 (red sweater)” by Phil Elverum : (never made available for purchase)
- “Water Activated Alpine-Themed Packing Tape #2 (Wind)” by Phil Elverum : (out of print)
- “Water Activated Alpine-Themed Packing Tape #1 (sweater)” by Phil Elverum (out of print) Deluxe custom printed packing tape presented as fine art. A roll of non-ironic designer packing tape with wind blowing through trees.
- “Black Wooden EP” by Mt. Eerie LP/CD a release as part of Southern Records’ Latitudes series recorded at the legendary Southern Studios in London in the summer of 2007. 6 songs.
- Ando-Pr vol. 2 – CD and pamphlet
- SHIRT SERIES
- Mount Eerie has a song on a Katy Davidson tribute tape.
- ELV039 – “EARLY TAPES, 1996 – 1998” by the Microphones, LP+download, later 2016
THINGS OF INTEREST ON THE INTERNET:
EXHAUSTIVE, DETAILED, & FLATTERING COLLECTION
MOUNT EERIE LYRICS FAN SITE
THANKSGIVING FAN SITE
CURATED VIDEOS PLAYLIST
OLD MICROPHONES VIDEO
BOOK SHELVES IN 2007
FRIEND’S SHELVES OF BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY HERE
P.W. ELVERUM & SUN
Please don’t send me a million emails,
but if it seems worth it
(and for booking invitations)
pw (atttt) pwelverumandsun (dotttt) com